For those who don't know, Queen Elizabeth has an important reason for dressing in bright, often neon-hued colors. During the Queen at 90 documentary, Sophie, Countess of Wessex revealed the Queen needs to stand out for people to be able to say 'I saw the Queen,'" at her public engagements. "Don't forget that when she turns up somewhere, the crowds are two, three, four, ten, 15 deep, and someone wants to be able to say they saw a bit of the Queen's hat as she went past," Sophie explained.
Robert Hardman, the Queen's biographer, echoed these sentiments, as well. He quoted Her Majesty as once saying she "can never wear beige because nobody will know who I am."
On Wednesday (April 21), Queen Elizabeth celebrates her 95th birthday. In honor of this milestone, let's take a look back at some of Her Majesty's best and brightest looks from over the years.
1) Queen Elizabeth donned a neon green outfit during her first joint outing with Meghan Markle back in 2018.
Queen Elizabeth and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attended a ceremony to open the new Mersey Gateway Bridge together in June 2018. They traveled together to Cheshire via train for the event. This was Meghan's first solo engagement with the Queen. While Meghan opted for a simple beige outfit, her grandmother-in-law stood out in bright green.
2) For an engagement in Windsor alongside her late husband Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth chose a hot pink ensemble paired with floral accents.
Queen Elizabeth visited the Queen Elizabeth II delivery office in Windsor with the Duke of Edinburgh on April 20, 2016 in Windsor, England. Not only was the Queen one day shy of celebrating her 90th birthday, but she was also making the 500th Anniversary of the Royal Mail delivery service during this engagement. Her unmissable pink ensemble was perfect for the occasion.
3) In September 2015, Queen Elizabeth marked becoming Britain's longest-reigning monarch with a bright blue outfit.
In September 2009, Queen Elizabeth became the longest-reigning monarch in history. She broke her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria's record by just one day at the time. Accompanied by her late husband, she opened the new Scottish Border's Railway, which runs from the capital to Tweedbank, on the historic occasion.
4) Her Majesty looked the picture of sunshine in this yellow ensemble on Royal Ascot Day in 2018.
While watching her horse 'Fabricate' run in the Wolferton Stakes on day one of Royal Ascot at Ascot Racecourse in 2018, Queen Elizabeth was easy to spot in the bright yellow ensemble. She added hints of blue to the outfit, as well.
5) The Queen visited the HM Naval Base in Portsmouth with her daughter, Anne, the Princess Royal back in 2015.
Queen Elizabeth attended the Commissioning Ceremony of HMS Queen Elizabeth at HM Naval Base on December 7, 2017 in Portsmouth, England. She was joined by her daughter, Anne, for the event.
6) Queen Elizabeth arrived in West Germany in a striking yellow outfit for an official visit back in 1965.
Queen Elizabeth's penchant for bright colors isn't new. She's been rocking standout ensembles throughout her reign. Back in 1965, she arrived in Munich on an official visit to West Germany in a matching yellow set.
7) Queen Elizabeth posed alongside Princess Anne during a state visit to Austria in 1969.
Queen Elizabeth and Princess Anne attended a function at the Hotel Imperial in Vienna, during a State Visit to Austria, 7th May 1969. While Anne opted for a white gown, her mom stood out in a bright green number.
8) Her Majesty donned a bold, colorful pattern while on an official visit to New Zealand.
Not only is Queen Elizabeth known for wearing bright colors, but she also occasionally pairs them with bold patterns. The outfit she wore in New Zealand during a Commonwealth Tour with Prince Philip in 1974 is a prime example of that sartorial combination.
9) Queen Elizabeth wore a bright red outfit while visiting the area of Castlemilk in Glasgow in 1999.
Queen Elizabeth joined Mrs Susan McCarron, her ten-year-old son, James, and Housing Manager Liz McGinniss for tea in their home in the Castlemilk area of Glasgow in Scotland on July 7, 1999. Her Majesty looked lovely in a matching red ensemble.
10) Queen Elizabeth went on an eight-day tour of Canada back in 2010.
Queen Elizabeth was spotted wearing one of her brightest ensembles of all time during a visit to Government House in Winnipeg, Canada. She was there for the unveiling of a statue of herself.